Medicaid SSI Frequently Asked Questions

iCare Medicaid SSI Plan Frequently Asked Questions

Medicaid SSI Frequently Asked Questions

The following are questions frequently asked by our members. The questions may be similar to one of your concerns, so feel free to review some of the questions below to see if your concern has been addressed.

  1. What is iCare? Please explain the program
    • Independent Care Health Plan, or iCare, is a complete health care services program for people with physical, developmental or emotional disabilities. If you live in Adams, Brown, Calumet, Dane, Dodge, Door, Fond du Lac, Grant, Green, Jackson, Jefferson, Juneau, Kenosha, Kewaunee, La Crosse, Manitowoc, Marinette, Milwaukee, Monroe, Oconto, Outagamie, Ozaukee, Racine, Rock, Sauk, Sheboygan, Trempealeau, Vernon, Walworth, Washington, Waukesha, Waupaca or Winnebago counties and receive Medicaid and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or SSI-related benefits, you are eligible for the program. Medicare beneficiaries or those enrolled in a Medicare HMO are also eligible, as long as you receive Medicaid or SSI benefits.
  2. What is Care Coordination?
    • Medical and Social Services
      • Care coordination takes into account that both medical as well as non-medical needs must be addressed in order to maximize health and improve your quality of life.
    • Care Coordinators and Care Managers
      • When you join iCare, you will be provided with a care coordinator or care manager. This person will work with you and your family to help you get the medical care and community services information you need.
    • Nurse Case Managers
      • Nurse case managers work with iCare staff when dealing with complex medical, behavioral or social needs. The care coordinator or care manager will continue to work with you while the nurse case manager is helping out.
    • Intervention and Outreach
      • If you are struggling with mental health issues or substance abuse, iCare’s behavioral health team may provide support and assistance by locating community resources. Our health outreach works with members with special needs and assists them in accessing preventive services.
  3. What is an assessment?
    • An assessment is our chance to learn about you and your health needs. We ask questions that will help us learn about your needs and create a plan with you to meet them. We want to be sure that you have access to the doctors and other services that will help you manage your health needs in the best way possible. New members should call iCare at 414-231-1030 for an assessment.
  4. How do I leave the iCare plan?
    • Call Automatic Health Systems (AHS) at 1-800-291-2002 for assistance in disenrolling from iCare.
  5. Is my doctor a part of your network?
    • Search our Find a Provider link to see if your doctor is a part of our network, or call Customer Service at 1-800-777-4376 (TTY 1-800-947-3529), and they will help you find out if your doctor is in our network.
  6. How can I find an eye doctor or dentist?
    • Search our Find a Provider link for an eye doctor or dentist. The eye doctors are listed under Vision and the dentists are listed under Dental in your provider directory. You can also call Customer Service so that they can assist you with finding an eye doctor or dentist for you.

NOTE: You may have to schedule 3-6 months in advance for a dental visit, so please make sure to plan ahead.

Modified: 10/2/2018

  • Independent Care Health Plan
  • 1555 RiverCenter Drive, Suite 206
  • Milwaukee, WI 53212
  • Customer Service: 1-800-777-4376
    • 24 hours-a-day, 7 days-a-week
    • (Office Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.)
  • TTY: 1-800-947-3529
  • Fax: 414-231-1092
  • All content and images unless otherwise indicated are
  • Copyright © 2019 Independent Care Health Plan